National Professional Qualification for Leading Teacher Development
We are now taking registrations of interest for spring 2024.
In 12 months, you will gain the knowledge to become a teacher educator and successfully support teachers in your school to expand their skills.
> One of a series of new, specialist NPQs.
> Flexible learning to suit your timetable.
> Gain a professional accreditation.
> Become an expert teacher educator.
What you’ll learn
This programme follows the Department for Education’s National Professional Qualification (NPQ): Leading Teacher Development Framework
On this programme, you will learn how to:
- Make sure professional development in your school is focused on a shared responsibility for improving outcomes for all pupils
- Diagnose what teachers know and can do, starting professional development from that point and adapting the approach based on their developing expertise
- Help teachers improve through evidence-based professional development focused on improving classroom teaching
- Gain an understanding of what teachers have learned by reviewing patterns of performance over a number of assessments
- Develop and lead a team of colleagues who can facilitate a range of professional development approaches
- Contribute to a programme of professional development for mentors, trainees and early career teachers.
Note: programme content is subject to change.
- Become a teaching expert – the new NPQs are designed to give you high quality professional development. All the training is evidence-based and informed by the science of learning.
- Champion quality teaching – many teachers who end up in leadership roles haven’t had any formal training to become teacher educators. This programme fills that gap by giving you the knowledge and insight to make classroom teaching in your school the best it can be.
- Learn to your timetable – this programme is designed to fit around your busy teaching role. Much of the work can be completed in short bursts around your existing schedule.
- Connect with peers – you’ll get to train and collaborate with other teacher leaders on the programme, sharing your experiences and building a network.
- Develop a golden thread – the new NPQ framework continues a ‘golden thread’ throughout every stage of a teacher’s career. Schools and trusts can have confidence that all their educators, from classroom teachers to leaders of multiple schools, are building and developing their practice from the same evidence-based framework.
- Create confident leaders – teachers who complete this programme will be able to successfully oversee staff development, leading to better teaching at your school and improved pupil outcomes.
- Increase staff attainment – by investing in your teachers, you are showing confidence in their abilities. After completing the programme, they are more likely to stay in their roles and help you nurture the next generation of teaching talent.
- More options for improvement – the new specialist NPQs are designed to be complementary, giving teachers multiple career pathways and options at every stage of their careers.