National Professional Qualification for Leading Literacy
We are now taking registrations of interest for spring 2024.
We will be running this NPQ with Little Sutton English Hub.
Poor literacy skills are a significant barrier for young people in progressing in all aspects of their education. In 12 months, participants will become an expert in literacy and leadership and enable young people to benefit from the curriculum to improve their chances of success. Those doing the training will learn:
> Gain a NPQ in Leading Literacy
> Access the latest evidence-based learning in literacy development
> Support colleagues to champion literacy
> At a time and pace that suits their existing timetable.
What you’ll learn
This programme follows the Department for Education’s National Professional Qualification: Leading Literacy Framework.
- Learn how to support staff, of all subject specialisms, to develop pupils’ language and literacy skills
- Learn how pupils develop aspects of literacy, including: understanding how children learn to talk, and how developing effective spoken language supports literacy development at every age and stage; understanding how children learn to become fluent readers and how teachers can help with this, from primary all the way through to secondary; exploring the importance of subject-specific vocabulary and different strategies to teaching this; knowing how to support pupils’ writing –whether learning to write in primary school, through to writing academically at key stage five
- Learn how to support, develop and teach pupils literacy using evidence-informed approaches
- Learn how to lead literacy through curriculum, culture and motivation
- Understand how effective literacy education can support your school
Note: programme content is subject to change.