National Professional Qualification for Headship
We are now taking registrations of interest for spring 2024.
In 18 months, you will develop the knowledge that underpins expert school leadership and apply it to become an outstanding headteacher.
> One of a series of new, evidence informed NPQs
> Flexible learning to suit your timetable
> Combine insight and practice to drive change
> Gain a NPQ Headship accreditation
What you’ll learn
The programme follows the Department for Education’s National Professional Qualification: Headship Framework.
You will learn how to:
- Set clear goals and communicate shared values that improve classroom and school culture
- Transform pupils’ knowledge, capabilities and beliefs about learning
- Create a fair and structured approach to learning and testing
- Establish a safe and positive environment for pupils
- Support colleagues to meet individual needs and make sure all pupils have access to a rich curriculum
- Lead school-wide professional development for staff
- Establish good financial, human and educational resource management
- Make and act on evidence-informed decisions
- Work well with parents, carers, other schools and the wider community
- Lead by example, be accountable for decisions and make sure staff know their professional responsibilities.
Note: programme content is subject to change.
- Enjoy flexible learning – this programme is designed to fit around your timetable and most of the work can be completed at times that suit you.
- Learn crucial skills and sector knowledge – all the knowledge you’ll learn on this programme is drawn from a single, evidence-based framework shared by other educators across England.
- Learning that sticks – training is delivered little and often, in regular bite-sized chunks, so there are no long days of training that take you away from your day job. Learning in short, sharp bursts also helps you to retain knowledge.
- Thrive in your school setting – develop the knowledge and skills to work to the best of your ability and tackle the complexities and challenges of your daily role.
- Drive habit change – embedding new habits can be tricky. Our dual modules help you to apply what you learn, connecting theory to practice, to help those habits stick. Insight modules capture the very best the sector has to contribute on a given topic. Application modules help you to use the ideas in context, with support from peers.
- Create confident school leaders – headteachers are equipped with school-focused leadership knowledge, which they can use to establish a culture and conditions where staff and pupils can thrive.
- Underpinned by the latest evidence – the framework for the new NPQ for Headship was developed using the latest evidence on effective professional development for teachers and leaders, approved by the Education Endowment Fund (EFF).
- Shared learning – participants learn alongside colleagues whose context is similar, facilitated by delivery partners who know and understand your needs.
- Create a common knowledge base – all our NPQs are aligned, meaning teachers and leaders share a common language and framework to drive improvement in their school.